You know those days where you the Lord presses His thumb on your heart so hard you can almost feel it? I am struck today with the blessings of our life….how many luxuries I enjoy and well, often downright, assume. These revelations came to a head today with an odd mix of happenings…
1. Buddy heads to Cambodia to continue his hands-on commitment to “our” God-given orphans and human trafficking ministry. My heart is proud.
2. While gone, I am tackling some long-overdue house projects. This sentence alone convicts me. Here’s a little list of luxury’s that statement holds:
- I have a house
- I have a house that is painted a color I don’t like, so I go buy another color (to please my eye)
- I have the money to buy paint
- I have the luxury of having experienced how happy a new color of paint makes me feel.
While reading this, Adrianne is reading snippets of “Kisses from Katie” to me about a young girl who at 19 is a Mom to 6 kids in Uganda. She believes what God says about giving up your life now for a glorious life later. While I stroke my brush, I realize that my world is a bit soft compared to folks in Cambodia and Uganda. (While painting, I’m thinking about how my friend, at my request, is sending me shoes and smarties next week because, well, “I need them”. Oh my.)
Don’t get me wrong – I don’t need sympathy regarding the influence and impact of our ministry. I believe we are right where God wants us…sometimes I just feel so lily-white glove about it. I know God has called us here and I love to watch Him work in our students lives and do truly life-changing work. I know Buddy’s and my gifts are part of this great big picture God has – I am just reminded today that God has given us great luxuries along the way.
And in that – I am both thankful and humbled. Part of those luxuries include you. We love you.
Jen for us.